I won’t lie – these smelled sooo good. I wanted to use up French bread in the fridge, so here’s Vlad’s breakfast. I used 2 eggs + milk + cinnamon + vanilla extract in the mix.
I had to have something pretty as well…
Lunch at work, hence the containers. Whole wheat spaghetti + leftovers of yesterday’s sauce (amazing!) + diced tomato.
Salad = spinach + lentils + salsa + broccoli sprouts + pumpkin seeds.
It was POURING today. We were late for our apartment/condo hunting appointment, because the traffic was CRAWLING. I had this to keep me company. Vega Whole Food Energy Bar – Natural flavour.
This was not my favorite bar. I didn’t mind the taste, and at 240 calories, it would make a substantial snack. It definitely tied me over for a few hours. Something to keep in mind, however, as Jenna mentioned in her review of Vega bars, the tastebuds of a food blogger are not necessarily representative of the general population.
I left a little piece for Vlad to try, as he is definitely more “normal” in the taste bud area. He didn’t like it either. In his words – too dry, and weird tasting, but he could eat it, if he was really hungry.
Nutritional profile was quite beautiful, however…
Dates, hemp protein, almond butter, organic sprouted whole flax seeds, agave nectar, almonds, raisins, sesame seeds, organic sprouted mung beans, organic wheat grass, lemon juice, organic dulse.
For dinner – tilapia in carnivore land.
Ok, this is the last of the soup. I promise. (except for what’s in the freezer).
Salad = spinach + red cabbage + cucumber + apple + sliced almonds + EVOO + balsamic vinegar + lemon juice.
The last bun… These are so good.
Now on to the recipe of the day…
- 4 small beets, cut in small cubes
- 2 big potatoes, peeled and cut in medium cubes Potatoes, peeled and cut into medium cubes – 2 big
- 1/2 of medium red cabbage, shredded
- vegetable stock – 8 cups
- Salt, pepper to taste
In a big pot cover beets with the stock and boil. When beets are half cooked, add the potatoes and continue cooking. About 10 minutes before the potatoes are ready, add the cabbage and cook until all the ingredients are ready. Season to taste.
- This was the first time I used beets. For anything… Ever… So “when beets are half cooked” really did not mean much to me. I had to contact Julia.
- I totally forgot to add minced garlic in the end. Will try that with the remainder of the soup.
- For broth, I used the remainder of a carton in my fridge + concentrated vegetable broth. Ugh – blurry picture. It hurts my eyes.
- The original recipe calls for broth OR water. I don’t really see using water for this one – I think it would be too flavourless.
- I think I just don’t like beets… Period.
Let me just say… this was not nearly as pretty as Julia’s version. And this time, it was NOT just about the camera either.